Thursday, January 16, 2014

Easiest hat, hooks and another new book

Hi everyone

I've been a bit slack with everything lately and now that we're in the middle of a heatwave, I feel even less like doing anything. Today we had 40 celsius (104 F) and its going to be like that for the next 3 days.

The only crochet I've finished is this hat ..


This would have to be the easiest pattern - with yarn doubled throughout and a hook to suit, you just make a chain the length from the top of your head to where you want the hat to finish (allow for a brim if you want one) and just half double crochet (US) in the back loops till it fits comfortably around your head, sew the back seam, make another chain to thread through the top to gather.  I can't remember where I saw this but I have a feeling it was on the BobWilson123 YouTube channel. 

While looking for something else, I found my lovely 'special' crochet hooks which I don't think I've shown you before. The gorgeous blue one at the bottom is a Graydog hook which I've had for about 12 years. Isn't it pretty ?  The two above it are sterling silver Celtic Swan hooks custom made by John Swan-Sheeran. They are entirely hand forged from solid sterling silver. Second from the top is a lovely wooden hook but I can't remember its origin. The colour is a lovely jade but it doesn't show up in the photo.  Finally, the top hook is one of the new square hooks being made by Kollage Yarns. I was a bit disappointed when this arrived from the US as I was expecting something like their square knitting needles which are lovely to use. The only thing square about their square crochet hooks is the handle which is hard plastic. 


Have a closer look at my 'special' hooks



Another book from UK arrived this week - a little sample of what's inside. 



I like this pretty table mat and aren't these kitties cute ?


How about this brooch


That's about it from me for now. Thanks for dropping by. My stats tell me I have readers from all over the place - mainly in the USA, UK, Australia and Europe. I'd love to hear from some of you lovely people.  xoxox



7 comments:

  1. Hi, Dorothy!!! The dead have risen! It's been so long since I've felt half-way normal. I wanted to tell you thank you for your Christmas card. It was a nice surprise and sorely needed. It made me smile that it came all the way from Australia from you! I hope all is well with you. I feel so out of touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy.. you know I can always be counted on to leave a comment.. I consider us buddies. I love your hooks.. I have shown my collection on my blog too. I only use my silver ones, though. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute hat! Did you say it was double yarn? You always have such fun posts and I love, love you hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great hat - I love the colours.
    Oh and I have serious envy.......your special crochet hooks are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of your hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dorothy. I really feel for those without a/c. And I'm really looking forward to winter lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox