Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hooks 'n' Needles

I bought myself a late Christmas present which arrived this week and am thrilled with it - almost as good as my Etimo hooks and they only cost me a total of $8.54US, (around $11 Australian) for the whole set, with free postage from China. How good is that?



If you want to get some, just email me (address in my profile) and I'll let you know where I got them from. The handles are soft and the shanks are lovely and smooth.

Further enhancements to my 'tools' collection are these beautiful knitting needles that were going to be disposed of by our CWA craft group last week. I offered to buy them but was told to 'just take them' so I did (thank you very much) and I can tell you, they will be treasured.



On a pair of these needles at the moment -


Can you guess what I'm making? Maybe I'll reveal in a day or two. However, I selected an item from my UFO drawer and finished off this lovely little baby's sweater from Marianna's blog. If you're not familiar with Marianna's patterns, have a look - they are incredibly easy to follow as she writes her patterns row by row (literally) so its hard to make a mistake.


Before I finish, I have to share a pic (well two actually) of our little man Oliver who is growing up so fast. We celebrated Australia Day on January 26 and he wore his special outfit and figured it was worth one of his lovely smiles.


And finally, here's one from his Christening Day which was on January 4. The gown he is wearing was the ribbon lace train from my wedding dress (1972) and was made into this beautiful family heirloom by my very good friend Gwen who now lives in the UK. The gown was worn by both my daughters on their Christening Days.


That's it from me for now. I was going to share a nice recipe with you but I'm hoping Pammy Sue is 'test cooking' it for me to make sure my daughter could remember how she makes it.

Till next time
xox

8 comments:

  1. Oh, what a cutie - babies are the best, aren't they? I have similar crochet hooks called clove amour and I love them - they look just like the hooks you've pictured here. And free knitting needles - well, you sure can't beat that! Have a lovely week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post! I'm so happy that you rescued those treasures (vintage faux tortoiseshell knitting needles) from the trash bin! Yikes! And your little grandson is simply adorable.. lucky you! Now I'm curious about your recipe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE all the hooks and needles! Lucky you! Oliver is just too cute. Look at that smile. Someone else just told me about Marianna's patterns yesterday. I'll have to check her out. I think I did go and look, but I've forgotten already. Jeez. I made the brownies/muffins. They taste great, but I made a mess of them trying to remove them from the muffin tin before they had cooled a little. They all deflated and fell completely apart. Like I said, though, they taste great! We're still going to eat them even though they look like dark brown blobs. Ha-ha. I had to cook mine for 18 minutes. They weren't over or under-done...just perfect. Too bad I rushed taking them out of the tin. Thanks for the recipe. I'll make them again and hopefully they'll be pretty enough to take a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear .. maybe you could eat the muffins with custard or ice cream as a desert ??? I hope Natalie's recollection of the recipe was correct. Maybe I should get her to make a batch to be sure. Anyway, hope you enjoy eating them either way. xox

      Delete
  4. Oh I must have Dorothy please :)) lol... Oliver is gorgeous , A beautiful idea for a Christening Gown, a treasure indeed.:)) hugs pat ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos with little Oliver! Your new crochet hooks are just gorgeous too by the way. I will visit Marianne's site...sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dorothy!
    What wonderful tools! Those tortoise shell needles almost make me swoon and the Armour hooks might be my favourite to work with, but I've paid a lot more and still don't have a full set yet! I got your Email and comment, thank you so much! I will email you later today once I have the children at school and am a little more organised :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dorothy!
    What wonderful tools! Those tortoise shell needles almost make me swoon and the Armour hooks might be my favourite to work with, but I've paid a lot more and still don't have a full set yet! I got your Email and comment, thank you so much! I will email you later today once I have the children at school and am a little more organised :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox