Monday, January 16, 2012

Year of Projects update

I'm starting to feel a bit 'hatted' out at the moment and think my next project will have to be something different, just for a change. Over the weekend I made numbers 16, 17 and 18. This child's hat was made from that multi coloured yarn I showed you in my last post.

There's quite a bit left on the ball so I may try something knitted later on, just to see how the colours work with knit fabric. Nos. 17 and 18 are baby's hats - probably premmie size.

While I was sorting my craft room before Christmas, I came across these two little 'treasures' of mine that I've been meaning to show you. I've placed a crochet hook beside them so you'll get an idea of their size. Both are little brooches - one a tiny metal crochet hook and yarn that I think I bought on eBay many years ago, and the other is a little thread 3D angel I received (also years ago) from a crochet friend in America. Aren't they gorgeous? I love them.

Before I finish this post, I want to give you a recipe for pumpkin scones. This recipe was made famous by Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen who was the wife of a former Premier of Queensland in Australia. I think in some circles she was more famous for her scones than being the wife of a Premier. I'm not a lover of pumpkin as a vegetable on the dinner plate but these scones are delicious.


Flo’s Pumpkin Scones
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed pumpkin
2 cups self raising flour
Put butter, sugar and salt in mixer, then add egg, followed by mashed pumpkin. Finally add by hand the sifted self raising flour. Do not handle mixture too much. Cook in a very hot oven – 225-250 degrees C for 15-20 minutes.
NB. If the pumpkin is very dry, you may need to add 2 tablespoons of milk.

Just remembered one more thing!! Red Heart has a new free eBook available featuring 25 afghans/throws. If you'd like a copy here's the link. It contains one of my favourite patterns - the Reversible Hungarian Blanket (aka Wool-Eater aka Bavarian rug) along with some other lovely patterns.

9 comments:

  1. You are definitely the hat queen. They are just adorable. I'm going to save the pumpkin scone recipe for when I can have bread again. These sound delicious. I love the brooches.

    I'm excited you are learning Tunisian. If anyone can master it, it is you. I can't wait to see the things you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully crocheted as always , very pretty yarn too..
    Pumpkin scones, sound so good :)) taste even better ..
    thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully crocheted as always , very pretty yarn too..
    Pumpkin scones, sound so good :)) taste even better ..
    thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hats are just gorgeous Dorothy and I can see how your getting "hatted" out..Love the brooches, they are so tiny and beautiful, thank you for showing them to us. I have taken down your recipe and will give them a try, pumpkin is not something we normally use so it will be good to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hats look great. It is interesting how different a yarn can look knitted vs crocheted. Sometimes it's hard to tell it's the same yarn. I'm sipping coffee so would love a scone,please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, pumpkin scones. I understand what you mean about needing a break from hats - that happens to me when I make a lot of one type of project. The hats look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After 18 hats, I'd be hatted out as well, no matter how cute they are! Definitely time for something new, different and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of hats my dear. I would definitely be ready for something different by now. :) Your little new found treasures are adorable--so much fun to fine hidden treats, isn't it? I think the scone recipe looks divine but I will have to look up that cooking temp in Fahrenheit terms! (us crazy Americans!) Today, maybe my mother-in-law's banana bread will find its way into my oven?
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox