Monday, April 23, 2018

Crochet Turtle Blanket and long overdue catch-up

Well, its been quite awhile since my last post - I'm hoping I still have a few friends here.

Over the past few months I've been 'hooked' on watching crochet and knitting podcasts on YouTube - boy what a time consuming exercise but still, very interesting and enjoyable in most cases. The part I like best is the 'finished object' section which most of the podcasters seem to start with and so I figured I'd start off with that here on my blog!

One of my daughters tags me on facebook whenever she stumbles across something she'd like me to make for her. My usual response has been 'oh yeah, in your dreams' because they're usually silly things and I'm sure she's joking. However, she is turtle crazy and around mid January, she tagged me on a sea turtle blanket post. When I showed my other daughter, she talked me into making it for her sister's birthday on April 2. Long story short, I ordered the yarn from overseas (Stylecraft Special DK), waited for delivery (seemed ages) then started January 26 and worked like a crazy woman (unusual for me LOL) to get my gift finished mid March. No actual pattern other than Lucy's Neat Ripple stitch and a couple of free turtle and starfish applique patterns I found on Ravelry. My daughter loved her gift and I really enjoyed making it for her.



 I'm still doing lots of charity work and have started some wintery type items to donate. Finished this little hat a few days ago (modelled here by my 3.5yo grandson). I used Caron Cupcakes in the colour 'Cherry on Top'. 


I'm not a real huge fan of how most of the cake type yarns change colour abruptly but these Cupcakes don't do that and I really like the way the colours work - a bit hard to see in the above picture so here's a shot I took earlier. There's almost half the cake left so I might see how it looks in something crocheted.


Also finishing off some fingerless gloves which have been suffering the 'second glove syndrome' for a little while. These are the Waffle Stitch Fingerless Gloves designed by Jill Toporkiewicz (free on Ravelry) and I used Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 8ply colour Koala, 4.5mm needles. Nice and easy pattern.


Oh, before I finish, I must show you the gorgeous Christmas gift from my daughters - what a surprise and something I love and will treasure. Its lovely to use too. Furls Odyssey Gold 4.5mm with single hook stand.


I know I've said it before, but I do hope it won't be so long until my next post. I enjoy reading everybody else's posts and love seeing all your crochet and knitted projects. Its getting a bit cold here now so I think I'll finish this post and go make some nice hot soup.

Till next time ...
xox

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love that hook. Especially with the stand. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev, Thank you so much for letting me know I still have friends in the blog-o-sphere. Its been so long since I last posted but, as you know, I really enjoy reading other's posts. I love my Furls hook and am thinking about getting another couple - just working out what sizes I'll use most. The cost of postage from the US to Australia is quite hefty so it makes the hooks pretty expensive but I feel that they're worth it. xox

      Delete
  2. I love the blanket you made for your daughter. You did an excellent job. And that curls hook and stand, I am envious! It is really nice t9 see an update from you. Greetings from WA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dorothy, yes you still have friends here and I for one was very happy to see you've posted. The blanket you made is spectacular, what a nice gift, a real family heirloom you've made for your daughter. What an amazing crochet hook your girls gave you! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa - I wondered if any of my old bloggy friends would still be with me. That Furls hook is wonderful. They are 'inline' hooks which I hadn't used much before but once I got used to the hook it felt great. I'm thinking about getting another couple of sizes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dirithy, I just did a double take while on Facebook as a blanket came up and I thought someone was trying to sell your blanket or had stolen your photo or something. Looks just like yours but it was an Etsy pattern for sake for over $15. Had to come back and have a look to compare the two. Yours is prettier and I d9 t think they had a star fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer .. Thanks for your kind comment re my blanket. I popped over to Etsy to have a peek at what you mentioned - wow, the $15+ was for just for a pattern. I didn't use a pattern for the body of the blanket and found a free pattern on Ravelry for the turtles and starfish. Did you notice the price of some of the completed blankets? Well over the $100 mark !! Makes me feel good about my gift to my daughter. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  5. The blanket is wonderful! The little turtles are a great idea. Your grandson looks very sweet with his new hat. And I like the mittens very much! I have saved the nice and easy pattern, thanks for the link. Sunny greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nata .. Hope to see a picture of the mittens you make. Thanks for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a long time since I have visited , never disappointed .. Love your model,he has a beautiful smile..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox