Thursday, August 28, 2008

R.I.P Rosehill

I think the craft show as we know it has finished. I was quite disappointed with this years effort however I did enjoy the hands-on workshops and seminars I attended. There didn't seem to be as many stands this year - just the ground floor and a few in the pavilion next door. The second level had small tables scattered here and there with groups of four making various things but how or why they were there was anyone’s guess. There were also lots of mini hills hoists with craft stuff hanging on them – again no explanation - they were just 'there'. The third level was where the workshops and seminars were held. I understand a new company (Living Creatively) is now running the show - it will be interesting to see how it goes next year.



I managed to finish off this beanie the night before the show which was probably a good thing because I was planning on doing two knitting hands-on workshops the first day. The first was Knitting on Circular Needles with Biggan Dups of Biggan Design. I shared a table with Biggan at lunch-time before the workshop and she’s a delightful Swedish lady. We were to make a neck-warmer but I decided to make my grandson a beanie (I’m really into hats at the moment) so I bought another ball of yarn in a complimentary colour so I could do stripes.



The Biggan yarn is 100% merino and is gorgeous with an amazing range of colours.



The next workshop was Socks on the Magic Loop with Janette Medcalf of Yarns Galore. This was a little more challenging for me but very worthwhile as I don’t think I’d ever be able to handle those double-pointed knitting needles. Magic Loop is a method used to work a small circular project on about 120cm circulars. There’s a good tutorial on YouTube which explains the technique much better than I could.



Another workshop I did was with Brother sewing machines where we made a tote bag. It would have been nice to have had some scrap fabric to play with the machine for a few minutes before starting on our bags - just about everyone, including myself, had the blanket stitches going the wrong way so had to unpick, barely minutes into the project. Oh well, the workshop was free, the bag is usable and I’m sure will come in handy for something.



I don’t need any more ‘stash’ so instead of buying lots of little things, I decided to treat myself to an Ott Light and three embroidery cards for my sewing machine. I’ve had my Brother Super Galaxy 2100 for a couple of years but haven’t played around with the embroidery part much. I went to the Floriani stabilisers seminar and now feel ready to venture into the wonderful world of machine embroidery.



Noticed this on a quilt which was on display …

THE BEER PRAYER

Our Lager
Which art in barrels
Hallowed be thy drink
Thy will be drunk
I will be drunk
At home as it is in the tavern
Give us this day our foamy head
And forgive us our spillages
As we forgive those who spill against us
And lead us not into incarceration
But deliver us from hangovers
For thine is the beer
The bitter and the lager
Forever and ever
Barmen

Back at the motel carpark I heard the roar of a helicopter barely above the tree-tops. I knew there was a heliport somewhere close-by at the back of Westmead Hospital which is opposite the motel, but I didn’t realise just how close it was. Here are a couple of pics I took from the front of the motel.





Till next time ........

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dorothy, I enjoyed reading about your trip to the show. I also found that the Melbourne craft show was very quiet as well, I always go early to avoid the crowds, but I did not encounter even a push this year.
    Great job at blogging have bookmarked your blog.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox